As a self-professed “junker,” I have a very hard time passing up unfinished handmade projects when I see them. A few years ago I came across a stack of Quilt Blocks that were never made into a quilt. They were beautifully tattered and worn, and my heart wondered about the hands that crafted them.
I’d love to spend a couple of days together taking you through my process of stenciling, stitching and adorning these wonderful remnants of past creativity.
I’ve taught this a couple of times in a much smaller timeframe, but think it’d be cool to get you to completion or darn near close to it in this 2-day workshop!
The first day we’ll plan your piece and dive in with a boatload of embroidery stitches. The second day we’ll talk attachments and how to pull everything together with 3-D objects and backing fabric. And, keep stitching, stitching, stitching. We’ll take a break for lunch each day, included in your workshop registration.
You’ll get a kit that includes:
- Your choice of a vintage quilt square (or if you have one that is meaningful to you, please bring it!)
- Your choice of backing fabric from our stash
- A hoop
- My favorite needles
- Access to our stash of buttons and small objects to include in your work
- Use of our studio paints and stencils
- A basic sewing kit including small scissors, needles, thread, straight pins, etc.
- A variety of embroidery thread in your favorite colors. DMC is a great choice as well as Perle cotton and thicker threads with more heft. Really, experimentation and texture are encouraged!
- Small 3-D Items that are meaningful to you
As always, lunch both days, as well as snacks & drinks, are provided. Chocolate is an Art Supply at Ephemera Paducah!
The minimum age to participate is 16.
The minimum needed to make this class is 6; the maximum is 15.